Sunday, July 20, 2014

What to do with all these Berries!?

What to do with all these Berries!?


One of my favorite summer past-times with my kids is picking berries at our local berry farms.  I never tire of the excitement and wonder in their eyes as they wander from row to row of berry bushes, in search of the biggest and best berry they can find.  "Ooooh!  Look Mommy!  Look at this BIG one!"  I figure one berry goes in the mouth for every two or three in the bucket.

Berries are full of antioxidents and vitamins and are considered a super-food for all the health benefits they offer.

After an hour or so of picking, the kids are usually pretty hot and tired, and so we hike back to the cashier to pay for our treasure.  And I usually walk away with about ten pounds of berries...or more.

This past weekend, we went to Westmoreland Berry Farm, and hit the jackpot with blueberries, blackberries, red and black raspberries in season.  We picked all of the above and left with two buckets full.

It used to be that when I got home from one of these berry picking expeditions, I would scramble to start baking a pie and making jam, to use up all of the berries before they went bad.

Until.. I discovered the simplicity of freezing these little jewels for future use.  Here is the best way I have found to freeze berries:

1.  Wash your berries.  Drain all water in a colander.
2.  Line a cookie sheet with wax paper.
3.  Spread berries in one single layer on the cookie sheet.  It's best if the berries are well spread out and not touching.
4.  Place the cookie sheet in the freezer.
5.  Allow the berries to freeze- about an hour.
6.  Remove the cookie sheet from the freezer and put the frozen berries into a Freezer Bag.  Seal and store in freezer.




By freezing your berries this way, they will not stick together.  They maintain their shape and texture.  They are all ready for your morning smoothie, or pancakes or oatmeal.  My kids even like to snack on them straight from the freezer for a frozen treat.


For more nutrition tips and recipes, check out my website:  www.kimdiazwellness.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment